Tuesday, October 19, 2010

THE Gila

From GET - Nuevo Mexico
From GET - Nuevo Mexico

Do you know when Colombus Day is? I definitely had no clue as I found myself walking to the door of the Monticello Post Office to pick up my package of 7 days of food and 40 or so maps. More on that later...

How can I sum up the last 2 weeks of hiking? I don't know how, nor do I have the patience to type it all out. What I do know is that I'm not sure I've ever done such consistently isolated hiking in my life. I mentioned it a bit in the last post, but the "out there" factor just hit a new high in the Gila. In 7 days of hiking from the Eastern Gila (Black Range) to the West (Mogollion Mtns), I saw only 3 people on the trails out there. The GET founder, Blisterfree, and 2 stoned elk-hunters. Unbelievable. And all of this for the first created, and most well-known Wilderness Area's in the country.

Photos and oh-so-brief summaries will have to suffice...

left the town of Magdalena to enter some nice ridgewalking along the Magdelena Mtns.
From GET - Nuevo Mexico


sick sunrise from the top of South Baldy in the Magdalena's
From GET - Nuevo Mexico


approaching Potato Canyon.
From GET - Nuevo Mexico

down inside of Potato Canyon. And here I managed to get lost. No way I blame it on my own error. Instead it was the fault of the low, western sun, and the absurd amounts of gnats that were annoyingly buzzing around my temples. I was looking out the whole time for a side canyon that I was to take, but never found it. Hiked all the way up this canyon instead, only to find nearly impossible pour-offs to climb over. Surely the maps would have mentioned those??? Wandered all around up other side-canyons, never truly lost, but always truly baffled. Finally after backtracking the next morning, I could see the side canyon I needed hidden in the trees. Relief....
From GET - Nuevo Mexico


the aspen are really nice up in the NM high country these days...
From GET - Nuevo Mexico


Descending Shipmen Canyon in the Apache Kid Wilderness
From GET - Nuevo Mexico

mind-blowing Valley de San Augustin on the roadwalk to Monticello resupply. My smile was HUGE HUGE HUGE here. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like it, and the photos don't even come close to capturing how alien and massive the landscape looked.
From GET - Nuevo Mexico



And then I was in Monticello. Luckily I found the home of the weekend postmistress and talked her into going the tenth of a mile to the PO and giving me my package. Otherwise I would have been trying to hitchhike 40 miles to Truth or Consequences on a road with no traffic, coming from a town with no stores or restaurants... hungry hungry hungry these days...

From GET - Nuevo Mexico

From GET - Nuevo Mexico

some nice roadwalking at night
From GET - Nuevo Mexico



pinnacles around Monticello Box
From GET - Nuevo Mexico

From GET - Nuevo Mexico

From GET - Nuevo Mexico

bye bye Monticello Box

now that's a nice watersource!
From GET - Nuevo Mexico


once climbing onto the Continental Divide, and the eastern extent of the Gila, I was expecting nice trails. What I found were severe burn areas, 40+ elk in a day (literally!!!), and maybe a tiny bit of nice and brand new trails.
From GET - Nuevo Mexico

From GET - Nuevo Mexico

From GET - Nuevo Mexico

From GET - Nuevo Mexico

San Mateo's in the distance from where I came
From GET - Nuevo Mexico


big burns, bigger color in the Black Range
From GET - Nuevo Mexico




The absurdly beautiful, LUSH, riparian habitat of Diamond Creek inside the Gila
From GET - Nuevo Mexico

From GET - Nuevo Mexico

From GET - Nuevo Mexico

in love with the Virginia Creeper crawling up that tree...

From GET - Nuevo Mexico

serious bushwacking. Thats brush over 6 feet high on a "shortcut" to get from Middle Fork of Gila to Adobe Canyon
From GET - Nuevo Mexico


Gila Cliff Dwellings before the crowds
From GET - Nuevo Mexico

From GET - Nuevo Mexico

From GET - Nuevo Mexico


hoodoos along the legendary West Fork of the Gila River
From GET - Nuevo Mexico

From GET - Nuevo Mexico


the crest of the Mogollion Mountains. Best fall color of the trip (so far)
From GET - Nuevo Mexico

From GET - Nuevo Mexico

From GET - Nuevo Mexico

yup
From GET - Nuevo Mexico


now it's time to head into Arizona and the Blue Range, and Eagle Creek, and then the town of Safford. I've read they have all a man can want in Safford, and what I want is a pizza buffet. And a Chinese Buffet. And movie theatre. And decently-priced resupply.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic and imaginative photos- they really brought the area to life into my cold damp Scottish village. Well done! We walked the CDT in 09 and the shots are so evocative for us.

    Brian www.pbase.com/briansolar1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous photos of an area dear to my heart!

    ReplyDelete