Friday, April 17, 2009

um....Fruita??

So apparently I'm signed up to run 50 miles tomorrow in my first ultramarathon. This is pretty laughable really considering I've squeezed in maybe 30 miles of training total in the past month since the Salida marathon. This race was going to be my main focus, and the Salida run was really just a training run to get ready for it. Tendonitis (???) in my left foot threw a wrench into that machine, so I had to keep the weight off the foot and on the saddle of a bike.

Maybe all of this is a good thing. No longer do I have delusions of grandieur about finishing in the top 10...now I just want to finish the 50 mile race. All of the pressure is off, and I just need to put in a smart race with a solid walking strategy to stay a bit rested to finish the absurd 50 miles in 13 hrs.

The weather down in the Grand Valley has been cloudy and slighly chilly at an uncharacteristic 40 degrees everyday. Tomorrow is supposedly to be mainly sunny, with highs in the 60s. Should be perfect running weather with a breeze blowing throughout most of the day.

I'm going to leave this comfy setup I've landed in Grand Junction and ride my bike out of here and near the starting line in Mack in a few hours. It's going to be a cold night, near freezing to sit around in insomnia waiting for the start at 6:30 to roll around. I'm really nervous, but extremely excited about running the legendary singletrack on Kokopelli's Trail and through all of the canyons tomorrow morning. It's amazing that its' so close.

Photos and a writeup may follow Sunday or Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment